The day before we’re to leave, i asked God to puff my to-do list because there’s no way i’m carrying computer with me. Out of the blue, Mati complained he’s left ear is painful. Migi has hearing-lose on his right ear so i silently panic! So there, my to-do list was puffed away. The “backpacking trip” has not made me forget about my task list but my kids can.
Aug. 2012 – December 2013
- Local Organizers are barely making much from races. How can we make money from a client who is barely making any? (Will do another post for this)
- Most runners expect races to be free, and to be getting a lot from it. And, i’m also guilty of this. So again how can we make money from race organizers who are having hard time getting runners to pay them?
- Truth is PHilippines is not that confident of online payment, or credit card penetration is not that high. Let’s just say that out of 300, only 50 are done online. If you do the math, how can we achieve 1000 online registrations/monthly without breaking our selves?!?
- Good news, we probably manage to get that 10k/month income, on a few times, but it was not solely on online registration. We did all kind of magic — selling shirts, visors, MC-ing, offline registrations, booth girls, on top of all the marketing activities we do. In short, Soybitz and I play a role of probably 5+ people just to make a 10k. It feels injustice but can’t complain because i choose to do it.
- We’re not that experienced. Period. I have previous “experiences” but there were/are a lot of new things. We were/are learning to do some things on the fly.
- Sometimes, i feel that we take too much than we can handle (that we don’t even know how to do) but i guess it has to do that we need to do it to “earn.”
- I could go on and on but i’ll probably dedicate different separate posts for each above and more (hope i won’t be lazy).
There are those senior people in their field that I met, and was looking forward to learn from them. But unfortunately, (I could say) only 1 out of 5 can give a “senior” experience.
Sometimes, I wonder why this kind of service or that kind of product or that kind of style of doing things is not done locally. Maybe because there’s really no need to “innovate?” Or maybe they innovate but the local market is not receptive of those new things? Or maybe they stop learning? Or maybe they just don’t want to be uncomfortable of doing or introducing new or different things?
I guess for the very smart people, this is probably one of the reason why some work abroad. Or else, they will also plateau.
But I also admire those who persevere of staying here, and trying to force theirselves to go pass beyond the plateau.
cognitive is thinking or the mind; and dissonance is inconsistency or conflict. Cognitive dissonance is the psychological conflict from holding two or more incompatible beliefs simultaneously. via Cognitive Dissonance theory.
Last quarter of 2014, I’m mentally agitated because it’s the last quarter of the year, and the:
A. Acquired Futuristic in me (thanks to the husband) is already telling me to make plans and execute them now for the 2015. It’s complicated because I still have a 2014 “work load” to finish, which are some of them are already for 2015.
B. Original Present-ic in me is telling me “what’s your problem? If you’re going to do them, you will still have a boat-load of unfinished tasks. If you’re not going to them, you still have unfinished tasks. What you should do is just quit. Because the world got screwed because of too many people wanting to change it.”
A. Me, myself, and I. I should go for my dreams and goals and whatnot because I need it for my growth, to satisfy my ego, to prove myself(?), or I think this is what will look good on my biography — in the label of changing the world / moving the community forward.
B. Others. Sh*t, I have 3 kids, an ageing mother, and other people to give my time to. Time is running out fast. You will wake up, and then you’ll NOT be included in their “Top 10 Best Memories of My Life.”
I could go on and blah about this, but I have to cut it short because the Future and Present Self is already rolling their eyes pointing to the task list.
I think I did have a lot of learnings this year that I could no longer use my usual scapegoat which is “Ignorance is a bliss.”
If only I did not know, I would probably not be experiencing a lot of dissonance.
Note: I think “cognitive dissonance” in psychology is more appropriately used on person’s moral compass.
make more mistakes